to Messinian Mani
This modern-rustic 19th Century traditional residence in the mountainous village of Exochori is utterly charming, exuding the peace of rural messinian life and offering a unique refuge for Mani visitors.
This typical country house was fully restored in 2015 and has been decorated with a combination of old and contemporary elements. With exposed wood beams, stone walls and stone-tiled floors, an exceptional fireplace and traditional archways, it evokes the very best of classical Messinian decor.
The rooms are large, simple and refined with modern design details. The estate consists of two individual buildings: the Main Residence and the Small Home.
- The Main Residence is laid out over 2 floors with one master bedroom, one arch sitting room and a bathroom on the ground floor, one large living room with the fireplace, a study, a kitchen and a bathroom on the first floor. The first floor also offers a mezzanine level for storage purposes.
- The Small Home is laid out over 1 floor offering a large bedroom & sitting area and a private bathroom. The two buildings are brought together by the hillside patio area that they share, overlooking the traditional village church of Ypapandi (Candelmas).
This friendly estate is ideal for a vacation as a large group or a family traveling together. Nearby attractions include many pretty historic villages of both Messinian and Laconian Mani, the beautiful city of Kalamata and adventurous mountain routes.
Things to know
- Stays are typically Saturday-Saturday, with shorter stays considered on request
- There are two building in the estate, bookable together. Please contact us if you are interested in individual bookings
- Closest airport is Kalamata International Airport. Shuttle services from Kalamata to the Domus Opuntia can be arranged upon request
- Domus Opuntia is a one hour drive from Kalamata, on a peaceful location. Car hire is recommended, allowing you to explore the beautiful countryside
- Housekeeping (daily cleaning services) is provided
- In-house chef can be arranged upon request
CD Player & Library
Patio / Garden
Τhe traditional village of Exochori is on the northwest slope of Mountain Taygetos, at an altitude of 500 meters and at a distance of 8 km away from Kardamyli. It belongs to the municipality of Western Mani and was known as Androuvitsa until 1932. In fact, Androuvista consisting of many small settlements and Chora as center of special architectural style and panoramic location, was not simply a village but a key region for going from Laconia to Messinia through the “Royal Road”. This region was firstly mentioned in historical sources of the 13th century and was the mountainous fortified old capital of medieval and ancient Kardamyli. The modern surrounding settlements were colonized by Exochori.
Today Exochori, being on the rim of the gorge of Viros and inside the beautiful wildlife Taygetos, constitutes an ideal destination for both mountain & sea tourism offfering impressive routes and activities such as hiking or biking and demanding walking paths, crossing the gorge and climbing on the highest peak of Taygetos ( 2407m ). More than seven hundred species of plants constitute the special flora of the region and it offers shelter to rare species of wild birds and animals preserving an important and unique natural ecosystem. At the same time, Exochori can be your base, while exploring the seaside treasures of the area, such as Kardamyli, Ritsia, Foneas, Delfinia, Κalamitsi, Kalogria and the popular Stupa.
The remarkable and ruined monasteries of Vaidenitsa and Samouel are between the villages of Exochori and Saidona, while the old school of the village houses the Historical Folklore Museum of Androuvista.